Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wall Art

Well, you know what time it is...back to school time. Trey waved bye to me this morning as I headed off to my first official day back to work. Sigh...Which means my the majority of my projects have come to a screeching halt (although I'm still going to squeak a few in on the weekends when there's not a UT game to be watching).

Just about every time someone comes over to the house they comment about this wall art:


I luurrvee being able to smile proudly and say, "I made that! And it was SUPER easy." Now, let's get real here, folks, I am not a creative genius. In fact most of my projects have been stolen by someone else that I've discovered on the web.

So here's whatchagottado to make this project happen.

1) Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and find a piece of MDF (in the lumber section).
2) Ask a sweet employee to cut it down for you into 12 inch squares (they may groan a little or give you a look like you are crazy, but they get over it...promise).
3)Sand the edges of each of the pieces a little (so they are smooth) and wipe down with Mineral Spirits or a Tack Cloth (both available at H.D. or Lowe's also).
4) Spray paint the edges with your color of choice. I used an espresso brown with a satin finish. Let it dry for the recommended time.
5) While the paint is drying find some cute scrapbook paper you'd like to use. That's right...scrapbook paper I had a pack of paper lying around with coordinating colors that I liked.
6) Use spray adhesive on BOTH the board and the back of the paper. Let it set for about 30 seconds or so.
7) Lay the scrapbook paper on the board and smooth it out. BE CAREFUL when you are laying it down because this is a PERMANENT bond and it will not come off gently.
8) If you're like me and can't seem to lay it just perfectly you can go back with an exacto knife and trim the edges.
9) Drill a hole in the top center of the back of each piece of wood (about an inch down from the top).
10) Screw in your wall hanger like so:


Now here's where you have an option. You can leave it alone or you can add 2 bumpers to the bottom corners. I find that it prevents the board from wiggling so much on the wall, and it's as simple as putting on a sticker.
Your project is ready to hang! Hooray! I HIGHLY recommend getting another person to help you hang your project. I did it by myself using my handy dandy laser level, but I'm convinced my time would have been cut in half if Trey had been around to help.

I liked the project so much that I found other paper I liked and made another smaller on for our bedroom with a wedding picture.

All of the materials together cost me about $35-$40 which is a heckuvalot better than the $200 piece that is similar in Ballard Designs.

My friend, Tara, made the same project after I explained it to her to put above her mantle. I wish I had a picture of hers to share because it's gorgeous. She had a 10 inch square wood piece to put in the center so she had all of her pieces cut down to 10 inches. The possibilities are endless!

I'll post again after I get back into the swing of school and Trey's birthday!!!

Happy back to school all you teachers!!!

xoxo, Shel & Bert

2 comments:

  1. okay....so today was the first time i had the sound on when i looked at your blog...a pat green song came on...definitely made me homesick and i may have teared up a bit at the office....miss you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful finds here! Also, I found something interesting I thought I would share…from something I wrote this month…
    DÉCOR TIPS & QUIPS from AlphabetPIX.com
    Bringing Out Your Inner BOLD!
    Bill Blass said, ìStyle is primarily a matter of instinct.î Decorating takes on a new meaning for each individual. Clever and chic for Janie may be yesterdayís yawn-fest for Carol. Different tastes in dÈcor mean different furniture, artwork and color palettes. So what is the rule of thumb for making your place zing if itís not a certain style, pattern, or color?
    Bold, baby! Bring on the bold!
    Boldly say what you want to say when designing a room. Make a statement and let your personality shine through. If you go in for the palest blues to soothe and relax, add a custom zing to make it pop! Love black and white photography? Maybe even some of that ultra-hot photo alphabet wall art in black and white? Splash in some passionate pink or revved up red on the wall to make it sizzle.
    No longer are walls content with neutral shades. Any color of the palette goes! Splash on muted melons or eccentric eggplants with savvy sage. Classic colors cozy up with velvety crimsons and Dijon yellows. Color is fantastically bold and beautiful! Rich textured throws, swags, rugs and runners jazz up every room, every time.
    Patterns are all the rage now, too. Twists and twirls, paisleys and pearlsóbold is key! Did you ever in a million years think of dotting stripes and striping dots? Designers these days are pulling out all the geometrical stops. Paisley mixes with all sorts of combinationsóchecks, polkas, and weathered solids. Discover a new way of looking at the world around you in different shapes and deigns.
    Mix it all with gorgeous gilding in silver and gold. Toss in a few well-chosen accents óbold and beautiful. And with the trend of decor becoming more and more personalized, a meaningful piece of photography will make you feel right at home. Black and white as well as the historic look of sepia photography looks gorgeous in any room. Add all these ingredients together, and youíve got yourself a decorating design that not only expresses your individual style but does so as personally and beautifully as you want it to.
    Whatever you want to say while decorating, say it with your own personal sense of style. Put it out there for the world to see and donít look back! Embrace your individuality whether your nature is ìJanie jazzedî or ìCarol calmî. Express yourself! When people enter your home theyíll shoot you a complementary smile, knowing it looks and feels sooooo perfectly like you. And no one can do YOU better.
    To take your individual decorating accents and style to a whole new level of personalization, check out http://www.alphabetpix.com. Imagine photographs of natural alphabets, clip art photo messages or even personalized photo place mats. Consider yourself a person on the go? Youíll love AlphabetPIX.com pictures to go with alphabet letters! (Intrigued yet? Check us out now!)
    Amp up that ìyouî factor, bringing the bright lights, bold city look to the forefront with clever photography of New York architecture and nature. And, if itís gorgeous enough for your home, you KNOW personalized photo gifts are great for any occasion!
    by T. Miller
    Décor Tips & Quips from AlphabetPIX
    Create your own personalized name art with Photos That Look Like Letters at http://www.alphabetpix.com!

    ReplyDelete

Just Right